Time Square is the name given to a row of shops that are east of the Swiss Chalet on the north side of The Strip. The properties are owned by Donald Woodward and leased to shop owners.
The restaurant was built in 1928 to meet a change in visitor eating habits brought about by the automobile. Prior to the 1920, most visitors arrived by train in Geneva, then came to the resort over a bump road in horse-drawn wagons and carriages. They stayed at hotels, inns and boarding houses were meals were served on the American Plan, included in the price of the lodging.
The automobile meant that visitors no longer had to be confined to a one-week or longer stay. They could drive to the resort and stay one or two nights in a cottage or tent. But they needed restaurants that could meet this more flexible schedule. Thus was Time Square started by the Pera family. It made food accessible any time of day and in an open-air setting (restaurants were not air conditioned back then and could very miserable in the summer). Guests could grab their food and eat while exploring The Strip or take their lunch to the beach with them (beaches were all along the north side of The Strip).