In an age of cell phones, texting and email, it’s hard to comprehend that something as basic as a landline phone was once a big deal for vacationers.
In 1946 the Chamber of Commerce had six telephones installed at the Village Hall, plus two secretaries who could make change for those pay phones!
Pay phones also were located at Maple Manor, Penn Lodge, Pera’s Restaurant, Burn’s Texas Barbecue, Chestnut Grove and the Lakeside Lounge.
A call cost a nickel, and the coin could be lost if call was not placed according to protocol:
If making a local call to Geneva, Madison, Perry or the resort, drop the money in AFTER the party answers. Drop it in before, and the coin will be lost because there is no coin return on the phones!