An 85-acre summer resort located on Austin Road, Melody Acres was owned by Mr. and Mrs. Norman Potikar of Cleveland.
The couple purchased the resort Jan. 1, 1955, from the Blum family, who had run it as Blum’s Summer Resort. The Potikars’ plans for the property were announced in a May 12, 1955, Geneva Free Press article. They planned to open their business Memorial Day weekend. Opening day events included a songfest, family style dinner, dancing and floor show. “Child counselors” would be on hand to watch children and provide programming so the parents could relax and enjoy the amenities.
The Potikers came from a painting and redecorating background. They planned to remodel the resort into a year-around operation with room for 200 guests in two dormitories. There was to be a dining room and activity facility, as well.
Programs at the camp would include “bonfire songfests.” Also explaining the name was Norman Potikar’s plan to place speakers throughout the camp and continuous play music through them all day.
Activities were to include fishing, boating on a pond, archery, horseback riding, table tennis, shuffle board, duck ins, shores whose, dancing and, in the winter, sleigh and hay rides. They even planned to build a ski run.
Graduates of the American Motel School were to manage the cottages and dormitories.