In 1948 the village’s volunteer fire department began a tradition of hosting a Halloween party for the entire community.
A Geneva Free Press article from 1949 gives an indication of the party’s scope:
“Everyone is requested to come masqueraded in Halloween costume, especially the children. First, second and third cash prizes will be awarded in each of the three categories of costumes, the prettiest, the funniest and the most original. Novel prizes of a home utility nature will be awarded the adult winners.
“A parade headed by the fire trucks and portable sound system playing band music will form at Burns Barbeque at 7:00 p.m. and will proceed to the village hall, where a program of interesting entertainment, awarding prizes and serving refreshments will take place.”
Judges for the contest were Alice Zimmerman, H.B. Parrin, John McMahon and Adolph Haafley. E.M. Pera was chairman for the event.