Originally located in Pera’s Kiddie Land (Erieview Park), the Ferris Wheel was built by the Eli Bridge Company and constructed by W.E. Sullivan. It is a no. 5 model and was built in 1959.
This model was built to be a thrill ride — the speed is faster than a typical Ferris wheel.
It was moved to the west side Erieview Park in 2007, one year after the park was closed. At the new location, the wheel is oriented to face Lake Erie.
Heavy winds in 2011 moved the Ferris wheel several inches off its base. Cars were removed and the wheel was returned to the base and brought back to operating standards.
The wheel operates during the summer months and is part of the Firehouse Winery landscape.