Originally known as Buckeye Drive, New Street became an official village street when the village was incorporated in 1927.
B.P Bartholomew and Fred Potter of Geneva laid out the street around 1900. The lots along the street were mostly owned by Geneva residents who built summer cottages for their personal use.
By 1947, the street was bustling with commercial and residential activity. According to an August 1947 Beachcomber article, the street had the following structures on the west side, starting from Lake Road:
- Harry Holden’s Motorettes;
- The Keystone, owned by M.L. Lanning;
- the Hollyhock, Richard Flory
- the Augustine, Mary Post
- the Rosalle, Mr. and Mrs. R.G. Reynolds
- the Calomar (Mary’s Kitchen), Matilda Ferritto
- cottage, Jane and Vin Helbling;
- Alta Vista, Edith G. Rose;
East side, starting from the lake and going south
- lakefront guest house, Leonard Gaetano
- L-Rae, Ellen Rae Ellis
- The Morningthorpe, L.R. Barrett
- The Buckeye Lodge and Homer Shatto residence
- Porter’s Midway
- The Play Tog(s) Shop
More information about individual cottages and businesses can be found under their listings.