Clinton E. and Clara Jolly operated Jolly’s Youngstown Manor at Shady Beach Lane (Jolly Drive) and Lake Road from 1942-late 1960s. Clara started the business with her second husband, Heber Spencer, in the 1930s.
Clara (Farnbauer) Jolly was from Youngstown. She had two boys by her first husband, Shirl Bennett, of Erie, Pa. Clara and Shirl divorced and she raised the two boys, Edward S. Bennett, Sr., and Robert P. Bennett Sr.
She married Heber C. Spencer, Jan. 16, 1928, and had one child, Sally, with him. During their marriage of 11 years, they built a home and several cottages that became known as Youngstown Manor.
Heber and Clara divorced Nov. 24, 1939, and Heber got the Spencer property on the north side of Lake Road and Youngstown Manor was awarded to Clara. Heber built three cottages on his north side property (now Lavender’s) in 1938. He married Marguerite Baldwin and they operated a total of six cottages under the “Baldwin Spencer Cottages” name.
Clinton and Clara were married Sept. 27, 1942. They changed the name of the cottages to Jolly’s Youngstown Manor.
Clinton Jolly, born in Conneautville, Pa., was a dry goods salesman and continued to work while the couple operated the cottages, which were known for their cleanliness and upkeep. He also served as the president of the Chamber of Commerce and vice-president of the Lake Erie Vacationland International Conference. Mr. Jolly served on village council and was an unsuccessful mayoral candidate.
Clinton is remembered for his easy-going manner, his red ties and red socks.
Clara died of leukemia in 1967; Clinton died in 1971. Only Sally Spencer, her daughter from the second marriage, survives of Clara’s three children.
See also Jolly’s Youngstown Manor.